Bedbugs in Hamilton
The bedbug problem in Hamilton has been getting worse the past few months, especially when it comes to rental apartment units being infested with bedbugs. A recent Hamilton Spectator article on the bedbug epidemic sheds some light on how many complaints were made in 2015 to both, The Public Health Services and CityHousing, which hover around 3,778 complaints (456 to The Public Health Service, and 3,322 to CityHousing respectively).
How to Prevent Bedbugs
There’s no doubt that these pests are a risk to residents and visitors of infested buildings, but also are a risk for all residents of Hamilton, as bedbugs can easily be transferred to different homes and dwellings. There are a number of different precautions that residents can take to protect themselves and their families from bedbugs, such as:
- Use a mattress cover to completely enclose the mattress & box spring
- Vacuum your mattress & box spring regularly
- Always look for signs of bedbugs when changing bedding
- Double check used furniture or clothing for bed bugs before bringing them into your home
- During travel, check your hotel room for bedbugs before unpacking your luggage
- When travelling, check hotel rooms for bed bugs before you unpack your luggage
- When travelling, leave as much of your personal items in your luggage as possible
- Try to place your luggage on a shelf or other hard surface, and away from the floor, furniture or bedding
- When returning from a trip, ensure you wash and dry your clothes immediately, as well as vacuuming the inside of your luggage bags
How to Tell If You Have BedBugs
If you notice any of the following signs, you may have a bedbug infestation at your home:
- Red marks on your skin that appear to be flat and in a pattern of three marks.
- Raised itchy small red bumps
- A blood or fluid filled bump
- Red or brown spots on a mattress or bed sheets
- A sweet musty smell around a bed
Any bedbug bites will appear usually within several minutes of exposed skin being bitten, however some cases can take days to show depending on the person and the sensitivity of their skin to bedbug saliva.
If you notice any of the following signs, it is critical that you contact us right away for a consultation on your options for treatments.