You’ve noticed signs of an infestation in your home and made the smart decision to call a pest control company. Your next question is probably, “do you have to leave the house for pest control?”
Previously, the answer would have been yes. Rodent and insect infestations are known for their resistance to DIY pest control methods, so exterminators had to use harsh chemicals that could be irritating, especially for children, pregnant women, or those with breathing problems.
Today, it’s different. Modern pest control companies have discontinued toxic chemicals in favour of solutions that are both natural and safe. It doesn’t matter whether you’re dealing with cockroaches, termites, or rodents, in most cases, you will not have to leave your house for pest control.
However, on the off chance that you do have to leave your house, it won’t be for long.
You Might Have to Wait 15 Minutes at Most
For bug treatments inside the home, most exterminators use a fast-drying liquid product that doesn’t pose a risk to your family and pets. At the very least, you may be asked to wait about 15 minutes before allowing your children or domestic animals to go into rooms that have been treated. By that point, the liquid will have dried without leaving a residue.
Here’s What You Can Expect
If you’ve never called for pest control before, you may be wondering if there’s anything you need to prepare for treatment. Recommended steps include:
- Scrubbing and mopping the floors and vacuuming the carpets. If you see roach eggs, vacuum them up and dispose of the bag afterward in a tightly sealed trash bag.
- Clearing your kitchen countertops of open food or leftovers, to ensure that the pests are more attracted to the bait.
- Moving appliances like the stove and refrigerator away from the wall and cleaning under and behind them.
- Covering or putting away toys belonging to your children or pets.
- Bagging and disposing of all garbage.
- Getting rid of extra paper products, which are irresistible to roaches. Recycle any magazines or newspapers lying around or, at the very least, put them on a sealed container.
- Checking for any leaks in the water supply, such as a dripping faucet, and having them fixed.
Below are some tips for keeping your home bug-free after the pest control technicians leave.
- Keep all food in secure containers. Cockroaches and other bugs thrive on spilled crumbs and food items left out on the counter. Wipe down all surfaces after preparing and eating meals and snacks, and store uncanned food in a secure container with a tight lid.
- Take out the garbage regularly. Store all garbage in a tightly sealed container and take it out regularly. All trash bags should be tied. If you spot a hole or a tear, enclose the bag in another, larger one.
- Wait before cleaning the treated areas. Depending on what products were used, the pest control company may ask you to avoid sweeping or mopping in the areas that were treated. To help ensure that the infestation does not return, make sure that you follow any directions provided by the company.
- Block any entry points. During the pretreatment inspection, the technicians will likely show you how the pests got into your home and recommend ways to prevent re-entry. This may include repairing torn window screens and door weather seals and replacing cracked caulking. You will also be advised to keep your doors and windows shut as much as possible.
- Keep checking for pests. During the days after treatment, you may see dead pests around the home. Clean them up regularly and watch for signs of a re-infestation, such as discarded shells, droppings, and other species-specific indicators that the problem may have returned. If this happens, call the pest control company for a retreatment.
Need Pest Control?
If you find yourself dealing with a pest issue in your home, there’s no need to ask yourself, “do you have to leave the house due to pest control?” With treatments today, you don’t need to worry about dangerous chemicals affecting you and your loved ones. At Action Pest, we use safe and fast-drying extermination methods to eliminate the infestation, so in most cases, you’ll be back inside within the same day. For more information on the extermination services we offer in and around Hamilton, Burlington, and Oakville, contact Action Pest today!